Family Services

Family Services Unit is responsible for serving all Ex-Parte Domestic Violence Orders (50B), Civil Show Cause Child Support Orders, Emergency Child Custody Orders, and Civil No-Contact Orders (50C).

If you have been the victim of domestic violence you may seek assistance by obtaining an Ex-Parte Domestic Violence Order (50B) at the Clerk’s of Superior Courts Office during normal business hours  in Guilford County.

There are two Guilford County courthouses in Guilford County:

Guilford County Courthouse – Greensboro
201 South Eugene St
Greensboro, NC 27401
Phone: (336) 412-7300

Mailing Address:
PO Box 3008
Greensboro, NC 27402

Guilford County Courthouse – High Point
505 East Green Dr
High Point, NC 27262
Phone: (336) 822-6700

Mailing Address:
PO Box 2434
High Point, NC 27261

Once you have completed the necessary paperwork you will be required to appear before a judge to explain the need for an order of protection. If a judge finds that there is danger to the victim or a minor child, the judge can issue an emergency ex parte order of protection with any provisions the judge feels is needed to protect the victim or the minor child. Such an order is good for ten days.

If the emergency ex parte order of protection is granted, the plaintiff will bring the original copies sealed in an envelope to the Sheriff’s Office Family Services Unit.

We have two offices located at:

Guilford County Law Enforcement Center – Greensboro
401 West Sycamore St
Greensboro, NC  27401
Phone: (336) 641-3735

High Point Detention Center – High Point
507 East Green Drive
High Point, NC  27261
High Point Phone: (336) 641-7907

Once the Sheriff’s Office receives the order, a Deputy Sheriff will interview you to learn information about the defendant that is to be served.  The defendant has to be personally served by a Deputy Sheriff.

Once the order has been served on the defendant, the emergency ex parte order of protection is in effect until the scheduled hearing date.  At the hearing date, the plaintiff and the defendant will appear before a District Court Judge. The judge may decide whether another order, one lasting for one year, is necessary.

To be served with a Civil Process:

Contact the Legal Process Division, (336) 641-3735, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Mailing Address:

Guilford County Sheriff’s Office
Legal Process Division
400 West Washington St
Greensboro, NC 27401

Greensboro Phone: (336) 641-3735
High Point Phone: (336) 641-7907