The Guilford County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for the care and custody of inmates incarcerated at three separate detention facilities, Greensboro Detention Center, High Point Detention Center and the Sheriff’s Prison Farm.
Our goal is to provide a safe, sanitary environment for inmates, visitors and staff while maintaining security for the community. Approximately 19,000 inmates are booked into the detention facilities each year. The average daily population at all jail facilities combined exceeds 800 inmates.
Due to the size and population of Guilford County, detention facilities are maintained at three sites in Guilford County; Greensboro, High Point and Gibsonville. All facilities are governed by the same policies. Inmates may be assigned or transferred to any location at any time.
There are many reasons a person may be detained in the County Jail. The following is a list of some of those reasons:
- A person has been charged with a crime in Guilford County and is awaiting trial. These crimes can range anywhere from a traffic violation to murder.
- A person has been found guilty of a crime and is waiting for a sentence.
- A person has been sentenced less than a year for a crime, and is serving that sentence in the County Jail.
- A person has been sentenced to a year or more and is awaiting transfer to the North Carolina Department of Corrections to serve that sentence.
- A person may be held in the Guilford County Jail on a warrant from another jurisdiction awaiting transfer to that jurisdiction.
Regardless of the reason someone is being held in the Sheriff’s custody, certain services must be provided. In many ways the jail is its own city. The following is a list of some of the services and programs the jail operates.
- Food Service
- Healthcare Services
- Mail Services
- Commissary Services
- Banking Services
- Educational Services
- Religious Services
- Work Programs
201 S Edgeworth St
Greensboro, NC 27401
Phone: (336) 641-2700
Fax: (336) 641-2793
High Point Detention
507 East Green Drive
High Point, NC 27260
Phone: (336) 641-7900
Fax: (336) 641-4137